COOKING ON A BUDGET - Homemade Veg Stock
Write a review
- 1-2 onions
- 2 carrots
- A handful of parsley
- Apple peels, celery, any other veg scraps or herbs (clean parsnip trimmings, leeks, fennel, garlic, bay leaves, thyme stalks..)
- 2 litres of water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- A good pinch of pepper
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- Finely chop or coarsely grate your veg. Set a large pot over high heat. Add the veg, salt, pepper and a splash of oil. Fry for a minute just to soften the veg.
- Pour your water in. Rapidly boil for about 2-3 minutes. If you’ve got a stick blender, blend the veg, which further chops it up and gives you a richer, more full bodied stock. Take off the heat. Infuse for 10 mins.
- Strain (really squeezing as much out of the veg as you can), cool and store in the fridge for 3-4 days, or use straight away.
- Will also freeze for up to 1 year.
Crystal Palace Food Market https://www.crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/