Imogen’s Spicy Winter Soup
You probably have a jar of Imogen’s incredible marmalade in your cupboard. She’s one of the market’s veteran jam makers. But jam’s not all she can do. This gorgeous soup recipe is as delightful and wholesome as her fruit-packed jars.
Write a review
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes (more of less to taste)
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 450g carrots, peeled and diced
- 450g apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely sliced or 2 handfuls of celeriac, peeled and diced
- 130g split red or yellow lentils
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 250ml coconut milk
- Toast your cumin seeds and chilli flakes. Set aside.
- Get a large pot hot. Add your oil. Tumble your carrots, apples and celery in. Sizzle until they soften a little.
- Rinse your lentils well. Tip them into the pot along with your veg stock.
- Stir occasionally. Cook until the lentils and veg are fully softened, about 40 mins. Swirl in the coconut milk about half way through cooking.
- Blitz the soup in a food processor or with a hand blender until smooth, or mash it a little and have it more on the rustic side.
- Delicious with Colin’s amazing rye bread or his apple and oatmeal loaf.
Crystal Palace Food Market https://www.crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/