Mackerel, Fennel & Potato Salad with Lemon Yogurt
A stunning way to serve up this week's freshly caught mackerel from Chris Veasey's boat.
Write a review
- 200g Greek or natural yogurt from Drew at Hook Dairy stall or Perry Court's veg stall
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- A tiny pinch of sugar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A few splashes of olive oil and/or a few knobs of butter from Hook Dairy
- 6 handfuls of small (new or salad) potatoes from Perry Court, sliced 1cm thick
- A few glugs of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- A little pinch of chilli powder or chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 fennel bulb from Perry Court or Wild Country
- 4-8 mackerel fillets (i.e. 1 or 2 per person, depending on how hungry you are) from Veaseys Fish stall
- Mix the yogurt, with the grated zest of the lemon, a squeeze of lemon juice and a tiny pinch of sugar. Finely chop a good pinch of fennel fronds and add to the mix, too, along with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Sizzle the sliced spuds in a frying pan with a glug of olive oil and/or a little butter till gold and soft. Add the garlic near the end. Season well, adding a hint of chilli if you like.
- Chop the the tops off the fennel away from the bulb. Shave the bulb of the fennel into wispy bits using a vegetable peeler or just slice really thinly with a knife. Cut the woody tops and herby fronds up finely and toss everything into the pan with the potatoes. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Season your mackerel fillets with salt and pepper. Get a frying pan really hot. Cook the fillets skin-side down in a little olive oil and/or butter for about 3 minutes, or until crispy and golden. Flip over and cook just until fish cooks through, it'll only take about a minute. Cook in two frying pans or in batches if you're cooking a lot of fish - you want to ensure each fillet has plenty of room.
- Serve the warm fish over a mound of the salad, with a dollop of lemon yogurt alongside.
Crystal Palace Food Market https://www.crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/