Market Mac n’ Cheese - Fast Food
Produce from Mootown and Perry Court, Patchwork or Wild Country Organics.
Write a review
- 2 handfuls of seasonal veg*
- 200g Caerfai Caerphilly CHEESE OF THE WEEK
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- 200g wholewheat penne (or any your favourite pasta – doesn’t have to be wholemeal)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200-250ml cider (or milk)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A dot of mustard or chilli powder (optional)
- A few handfuls of toasted breadcrumbs
- A few handfuls of chopped nuts (hazel, walnuts or almonds are nice), toasted
- 1 handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Select a seasonal veg. Lots of ideas below. Get it prepped.
- Chop your cheese into smallish cubes or coarsely grate. Toss with the flour.
- Get your pasta on the go. Set the timer once it’s in the pot, cooking according to pack instructions.
- Melt the butter in a pot. Add the garlic. Sizzle till softened.
- Lower the heat. Slosh in 200ml cider or milk. Let it bubble for a moment.
- Gradually add the cheese. Stir in a zig zag pattern to avoid clumping.
- Taste. Add more cider or milk, if needed. Season. Dash in some chilli or mustard, to give it a kick.
- Drain your pasta. Fold through the cheesy sauce. Add your veg if it’s not already with the pasta. Finish with breadcrumbs, nuts and herbs, for a crunchy, flavour-packed finish.
*Brilliant veg to balance this saucy number include
- Spring onions – cut into 2cm pieces at an angle and thrown into the pasta water right at the end of cooking,
- Broccoli florets – again, throw in with the pasta in the final 2-3mins of cooking,
- Fresh spinach or chard – roughly chop, then fold through the warm pasta with a little butter after you’ve drained it
- Courgettes – Cut into rounds. Halve to the rounds. Cook in a little olive oil until just golden. Season well. Fold through the cheese pasta.
Crystal Palace Food Market https://www.crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/