Wholesome Homemade Tortillas - Frugal DIY
Perfect for the tacos on the reverse side, or breakfast tacos. Just fill with scrambled eggs, seasonal veg (like spring onions, tomatoes and spinach), leftover roast potatoes – diced and cooked in a little olive oil with spices, grated cheese and chilli sauce. --------------You can also make quesadillas – just grate some cheese into a warm open tortilla. Fold in half. Cook in frying pan until the tortilla is golden and the cheese is melted.---------------Making your own tortillas using is much healthier and by far cheaper than buying them from the supermarket. It costs 50p to make 8 homemade organic tortillas vs. £1.20 for non-organic ones from Sainsbury, which have lots of additives to keep them fresh.
Write a review
- 175g strong or plain white flour
- 125g wholemeal flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- A good pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil 200ml warm water
- Mix the flours, baking powder, salt and olive oil. Slowly fold in the water. Stir to form a loose, sticky ball.
- Dust with flour. Knead for a few mins till the dough is soft, firm and stretchy. Divide into eight. Roll into balls.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium flame.
- Meanwhile, pat a dough ball into a circle on a floured surface. Roll out to the size of a dinner plate.
- Cook in the hot, dry pan for about 30 seconds on each side. When it puffs a bit, it’s done. Brush one side with olive oil or butter.
- Wrap in a clean cloth as you cook the others.
- Once you’ve cooked the full batch, eat straight away, as the tortillas go hard if they sit too long. The dough freezes beautifully.
Crystal Palace Food Market https://www.crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/